Tulane Campus Recreation’s outdoor adventure offerings are your opportunity to explore the region and discover new skills on the water or on the trail. Beyond our trip schedule, our Outdoor Adventures team can provide you with consulting and rental gear to assist you in your own outdoor plans.
Outdoor Adventure Trips
Looking to explore your adventurous side? Join Campus Recreation as we explore the Gulf-South region and discover new skills. Outdoor Adventures offers an array of trips to interest any student.
For more information, contact Outdoor Adventures at firstname.lastname@example.org or (504) 314-2861.
|Intro to Sailing||Saturday, September 2||9 a.m.-1 p.m.||$45|
|Bayou St. John Open Paddle||Sunday, September 10||10 a.m.-4 p.m.||Free|
|Cane Bayou Paddle||Saturday, September 16||9 a.m.-2 p.m.||$45|
|Late Night Climbing||Friday, September 22||9 p.m.-Midnight||Free|
|Grand Isle Beach Camping||Friday, September 29-Sunday, October 1||5 p.m.-5 p.m.||$100|
|Fall Break Backpacking||Thursday, October 5-Sunday, October 8||9 a.m.-5 p.m.||$125|
|Flora and Fauna of Barataria||Friday, October 13||5:30-8:30 p.m.||$30|
|Intro to Sailing||Saturday, October 14||9 a.m.-1 p.m.||$45|
|Intro to Camping||Friday, October 20-Sunday, October 22||5 p.m.-5 p.m.||Free|
|Family Weekend Bayou St. John Paddle||Sunday, October 22||9 a.m.-2 p.m.||$35|
|Intro to Sailing||Saturday, November 4||9 a.m.-1 p.m.||$45|
|Paddle the Blind River||Sunday, November 12||9 a.m.-2 p.m.||$45|
Bayou St. John Open Paddle
Paddle through the heart of the city on now-urban Bayou St. John, once an important shortcut from the Mississippi to Lake Pontchartrain. With the freedom to come, paddle, and go as you please, this activity is a must-do!
Cane Bayou Paddle
Join us on a day trip to Cane Bayou. As we paddle through cypress groves and marsh, you will see plenty of native flora and fauna, and on a clear day, the NOLA skyline across the lake.
Fall Break Backpacking
During Fall Break, unwind with a backpacking trip in a National Park/Forrest.* This road trip to hike is sure to create memories that last a lifetime. Transportation, instruction, food, and group equipment is included in the cost of this trip.
*Location varies by year
Flora and Fauna of Barataria
Spend a spooky Friday night looking at and listening to the night life of the Barataria Preserve! There are many frogs, amphibians, and other creatures to observe.
Grand Isle Beach Camping
Join our popular beach camping adventure to Grand Isle. We'll camp on the sand, hike along the barrier island, play beach games, and try stand-up paddleboarding on the water. Registration fee includes transportation, instruction, food, and group equipment.
Intro to Camping
Spend the weekend learning the basics of camping: hiking, star gazing, cooking delicious camp food, and appreciating all Louisiana has to offer. If you’re looking for an easy way to try something new, this is the trip for you!
Intro to Sailing
Whether you are brand new to boats or the captain of your own crew, this sailing trip will blow you away! Come sail away on Lake Pontchartrain with Outdoor Adventures. Transportation and sailing instruction included in the cost of this trip.
Late Night Climbing
Spend the night rock climbing with Outdoor Adventures at New Orleans Boulder Lounge. Whether you’re a pro or a beginner, we’ll have the perfect climb for you! Register in advance; transportation, climbing access, and equipment are provided at no cost to you.
Paddle the Blind River
Only accessible by small boat, this section of the Blind River offers a glimpse into the region's past, including miles of undistrurbed animal habitat and a long-abandoned cabin slowly returning to the swamp.
- Trip cost includes Group Gear. All personal gear can be reserved for trips at 50% cost.
- Trips are open to Tulane students only (undergraduate, graduate, medical, and law).
- No alcohol, drugs, or other controlled substances are permitted on trips.
- Students must abide by the Student Code of Conduct.
- Attendance at the pre-trip meeting (usually Wednesday before the trip) is mandatory.
- Ask any questions you might have about your ability to participate in trip activities before you register. While our trips are geared towards beginners, it is up to you to estimate your physical abilities in advance.
- Trip sign-up is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Full payment is due at the time of registration.
- Proof of health insurance is required before trip begins.
When registering for an Outdoor Adventures trip, I agree to the following:
- I understand that by registering for a trip, I am committed to attend.
- If the trip is canceled by Tulane Reily Student Recreation Center, I will receive a 100% refund.
- I understand that if I cancel my registration anytime before the pre-trip meeting and/or Wednesday at 5 p.m. before the trip, I will receive a 50% refund of the registration cost.
- I will not receive a refund if I cancel after the pre-trip meeting and my spot cannot be filled.
- Attendance at the pre-trip meeting is mandatory. Those who do not attend may be unable to participate in the trip and may not be given a refund.
Outdoor Gear Rental Center
Our newly renovated Gear Rental Center is located on the ground floor of the Reily Student Recreation Center in Room 105. At the center, our Outdoor Adventures team offers a full selection of rental equipment for all those looking to create their own adventures.
The Gear Rental Center is open when classes are in session; please refer to the academic calendar for dates. The center is also subject to Reily Center adjusted hours and closures.
Gear rental policies include:
- Trip cost includes Group Gear; All Personal Gear can be reserved for trips at 50% cost.
- Rental services are only offered to university students, staff, faculty, and Tulane Campus Recreation members.
- Rentals are paid for on pick up, with a few exceptions:
- Renting 5 or more of the same item.
- Renting for fall or spring break.
- Rentals can be paid for with Visa or MasterCard. Tulane University Accounts Receivable is not accepted.
- Rentals can only be picked up or returned during rental shop operating hours.
- Equipment not returned on time will incur a $2 late fee in addition to the daily rental rate for each additional day the equipment is not returned.
- Equipment that is returned wet or excessively dirty will be assessed a cleaning fee. Please clean and air dry equipment prior to returning to avoid these charges.
- Renter is responsible for the full cost of repair or replacement if equipment is damaged, lost, stolen, or not returned.
- No refunds will be issued for rented equipment.
Please reserve your equipment by stopping into the Outdoor Adventures office or contacting the office via email.
Rentals are available for daily, weekend, or weekly use.
|Gear Item||Daily Price||Weekend Price||Weekly Price|
|2-Burner Stove (Fuel Not Included)||$5||$10||$25|
|Backpacking Cookset (3 Nesting Pots with Lids)||$2||$4||$10|
|Backpacking Stove (Fuel Not Included)||$3||$6||$15|
|Climbing Crash Pad||$5||$10||$25|
|Climbing Shoes (4-12.5)||$2||$4||$10|
|Climbing Spotter's Pad||$5||$10||$25|
|Canoe Package (Canoe, 2 Canoe Paddles, 2 PFDs, 4 Car Pads, 2 Straps, and Bow and Stern Tie Downs)||$20||$40||$100|
|Dry Bag (80L)||$2||$4||$10|
|Hammock & Straps||$3||$6||$15|
|Kayak Package (Kayak, 1 Kayak Paddle, 1 PFD, 4 Car Pads, 2 Straps, and Bow and Stern Tie Downs)||$20||$40||$100|
|Personal Flotation Device - Type III (Life Jacket)||$1||$2||$5|
|Sleeping Bag (20°, 45°, 50°)||$4||$8||$20|
|Sleeping Pad (Air, Foam)||$2||$4||$10|
|Stand Up Paddleboard Package (Inflatable Stand-up Paddleboard, 1 PFD, Paddle, Pump, and Carrying Bag)||$20||$40||$100|
|Tent (3 Person, 4 Person)||$6||$12||$30|
|Water Resistant Duffel||$2||$4||$10|
Want additional assistance in making the most of your personal adventures? Make an appointment with:
An Adventure Consultant
If you’ve rented gear from us, one of our trip leaders will help you plan your ultimate adventure-- for free! They’ll explain how to use your gear, evaluate your trip plans and even help you plan a menu for the backcountry. If you’d like to venture out on your own but need a little guidance, ask about our Adventure Consultant service today at email@example.com!
An Adventure Coach
Ready to take your outdoor skills to the next level? Get your own Adventure Coach! Like a personal trainer for the outdoors, your coach will give you one-on-one instruction in canoeing, kayaking, and other backcountry skills. To book, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Canoeing, Kayaking, or Paddleboarding
Join one of our trip leaders on Bayou St. John to learn to safely transport a boat, plan your trip, use basic and advanced paddle strokes, navigate water hazards and more! Plus, you’ll get a discount on your first canoe, kayak, or paddleboard rental after your lesson!
Two-hour session: $50
Basic Camping or Backpacking
Get customized training without leaving campus: learn to plan your trip, set up your tent, pack your backpack, filter water and more! We’ll even help you cook a meal on a camping or backpacking stove! When you’re ready to head out on your own, you’ll get a discount on your first gear rental!
Two-hour session: $50